Summer is an amazing time to be in Alicante. The summer programs in June allow students to have a complete academic experience and at the same time enjoy the beach and the leisure time activities the city of Alicante has to offer. A highlight of the summer program is the annual city festival known as Las Hogueras de San Juan. This week-long festival culminates in the burning of large papier-mache constructions, designed to reflect current cultural, social and political issues in Alicante, Spain and the world.
Each June we offer our a 4-Week Intensive Language & Culture program taught at the University of Alicante. Students typically receive between 4-6 credits for their work. All students have one major trip included in their fees, either to Barcelona or Granada, although they can participate in both for an additional fee.
We also have a number of exciting Custom and Faculty-Led Programs (some taught in English) each summer in collaboration with some of our U.S. partner universities which are open to outside enrollment. Please contact us for more details and specific contact information if you are interested in participating in one of these unique programs.
Intensive language study is an excellent way for students to quickly improve their language skills while broadening their knowledge of Spanish culture, lifestyle and current social issues. This option offers 20 hours of in-class instruction per week and is complemented by outside-of-class cultural activities. While summer is the most popular time for students to participate in these short-term intensive programs, it is possible to enroll at any time during the year.
This program features:
- a total immersion language and culture program
- 4 hours of language instruction per day, including one hour dedicated exclusively to oral skills development
- integrated language program placing ALI students in classes with other international students from around the world
- average language class size 12-15 students
- content courses taught using a “sheltered” Spanish approach in which the level of Spanish used in class gradually intensifies as the semester progresses
- individual academic support
- full orientation session upon arrival and on-going advisement and support throughout the course of study.
- academic field trips to locations of cultural interest (possible destinations include Madrid/Toledo, Barcelona, Granada, and Valencia among others).
- periodic bulletins with listings of local cultural and sports activities.
- full-time experienced resident director and designated university liaison to assist students in arranging for any special interest activity or to accommodate any special need.
- co and extra-curricular activities to complement the academic program including visits to local sites of interest, cultural activities, and special interest classes. (Some activities and courses require the payment of an activity fee.)
Custom and Faculty-Led Summer Programs
Over the years, ALI has collaborated on the development of a number of customized programs in partnership with U.S. universities. Designing unique study experiences that match the specific needs and interests of a faculty member, a professional group, a study abroad office or a group of students is our strong suit, and our many years of experience in Alicante makes it possible for us to arrange a wide array of academic and experiential learning opportunities.
Below are some of the courses that we co-sponsor with our university partners. Most of these programs are open to students from outside the sponsoring institution.
Not all courses are offered every summer. Please contact us for current programs and details.